New York style pizza dough. New York-Style Pizza Dough New York-Style Pizza Dough. The Best New York Style Pizza Dough. The best, authentic NY pizza dough recipe for making pizza dough at home.
New York-style pizza dough is an offshoot of Neapolitan-style dough—still a thin crust pie, but slightly thicker than its Italian cousin. The crust is sturdy, but not cracker-like, and instead features a tender chew thanks to the addition of oil in the dough. In a small bowl, using a fork, stir the yeast into the lukewarm water. You can have New York style pizza dough using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of New York style pizza dough
- It's of unbleached bread flour.
- Prepare of sugar.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of instant yeast.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- You need of room temp water.
In another small bowl, combine the cold water, sugar, salt and olive oil (and optional italian seasoning). A New York Style pizza dough is characterized by a light and thin crust with slight toughness or pull to the bite. The perfect New York crust has very airy pockets and folds in half without cracking. This style is easy to get close to but tough to master.
New York style pizza dough instructions
- put water in a metal bowl (I use 5qt. kitchen aid mixer with a dough hook) add yeast,sugar,salt, and olive oil and mix until dissolved. add the flour a little at a time and mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and is on hook. mix on low for 4 minutes. let the dough rest for 5 minutes then mix again on med low setting for an additional 2 minutes. immediately divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. round each piece into a ball and rub with olive oil. place each ball in a zippered bag or dough container and refrigerate overnight or freeze any pieces you will not be using the next day. The next day remove the dough 2 hours prior to use to allow the gluten to relax and remove the chill..
- place a baking stone on the middle shelf of oven and preheat on the highest setting for 1 hour. shape the dough using the toss and spin method stretching to a diameter of about 12 inches. dough should be about 1/4 inch think and slightly thicker toward edge. transfer dough to a peel or inverted sheet pan dusted with flour or cornmeal..
- add sauce and toppings and slide onto the stone. should take about 12 minutes to bake. when done crust should be crisp and slightly charred on edge and cheese should be bubbling and just beginning to caramelize. The underside of crust should be brown and crisp...not white and soft..
Some say the New York City tap water is the key ingredient to making this famous crust. New York style pizza is a style originally developed in New York City, where pizza is often sold in oversized, thin and flexible slices. It has a very thick outer crust and a thin middle and often has a rectangular shape. New York style pizza dough is traditionally hand-tossed and light on sauce. Real New York-style pizza crust is chewy, thin, a little flexible, and dotted with bubbles and charred spots from the intense heat of the brick ovens.