Whole Wheat Pizza Dough. To improve the nutritional profile of pizza, use half whole-wheat and half all-purpose flour, which yields a light crust with a distinctive nutty taste. Use a food processor, stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or your hands to mix the dough. I used white whole wheat flour along with the all-purpose flour in this pizza dough and really liked the end result, a chewy texture.
So easy and great for our fmaily of pizza lovers. I even tried freezing the individual pizza shells between layers of parchment paper WITHOUT freezing them seperately first, and it worked just fine.be careful when unpeeling the paper from the frozen shells, but this does save one more step for you busy cooks! All whole wheat pizza dough recipes are different, but they typically all have the same ingredients: whole wheat flour, yeast, water, salt, oil, and some may have sugar. You can cook Whole Wheat Pizza Dough using 19 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- It's of .
- You need of Dry Cup Measure.
- Prepare of 3/4 Cup Measure.
- It's of Liquid Cup Meaure.
- Prepare of 1/2 Teaspoon Measure.
- Prepare of Tablespoon Measure.
- It's of Large Mixing Bowl.
- It's of Wooden Spoon.
- It's of Standard Mixer with paddle and dough hook (helpful but not a must).
- It's of Plastic Wrap.
- You need of Hand Towels (also known to Chefs as "Side Towels").
- It's of .
- Prepare of Soaker (https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/259647-basic-soaker).
- Prepare of Biga (https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/256550-simple-biga).
- It's of Whole Wheat Flour.
- Prepare of Kosher Salt.
- Prepare of Instant Yeast.
- You need of Honey.
- You need of Olive Oil.
Here is the breakdown of what I use in my own recipe. A slight amount of sugar is used to proof the yeast in the first step. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients until evenly combined. Whisk water, sugar, oil and yeast in a liquid measuring cup or small bowl.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough step by step
- In a stand mixer combine all ingredients, mix with paddle attachment on low speed for 1 minute..
- Switch to the hook and mix on medium-low speed for another 6 minutes..
- Divide the dough in 4 smaller balls..
- Coat them in olive oil. Set them in a tray and wrap the tray tightly. Let rise for 1 hour..
- Form the dough into a ball and let it rest on the table for 5 minutes..
- Then roll out using a little flour on the table to help keep from sticking..
- If you are daring, try tossing the dough for a more traditional/ rustic look. At his point the dough is done and ready. At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and freeze until ready to use or bake (time and temp below)..
- Feel free to add a sauce and or toppings on the pizza dough (prior to freezing and or baking)..
- Note: Preheat the oven at 450F. Then bake for 2 minutes and rotate 180 degrees for even baking. The pizza should take 5 to 8 minutes to bake depending on the amount of toppings. The bottom will be lightly tannish brown when done (link)..
- Link to Whole Wheat Pizza with Portobellos, Spinach and Feta Pizza recipe: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/256549-whole-wheat-pizza-portobello-spinach-and-feta-cheese-pizza.
You can top your whole wheat pizza with your favorite toppings…veggies, meat, cheese, whatever your heart desires! This time we made one of our favorites, Caprese Pizza! I will share the recipe on Friday, so come on back! You can also freeze this whole wheat pizza dough. You can refrigerate or freeze the dough easily.