Welsh Rarebit (aka Welsh Rabbit). Welsh rabbit or Welsh rarebit is a British dish consisting of a hot cheese-based sauce served over slices of toasted bread. Welsh Rarebit - So Much More Than "Just" Cheese On Toast! Welsh Rarebit is a delicious traditional British dish.
Michael Quinion writes: "Welsh rabbit is basically cheese on toast (the word is not 'rarebit' by the way, that's the result of false etymology; 'rabbit' is here being used in the same way as 'turtle' in 'mock-turtle soup', which has never been near a turtle, or 'duck' in. Welsh rabbit prepared in this way makes a good breakfast dish (some crisp bacon laid across the cheese wouldn't be amiss), or a good light lunch accompanied by a simple green salad. A thick slice of grain bread topped with a savory cheese sauce of beer, cheese, butter, mustard and broiled. You can have Welsh Rarebit (aka Welsh Rabbit) using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Welsh Rarebit (aka Welsh Rabbit)
- Prepare 4 slice of white bread.
- You need 200 grams of grated cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1 of lightly beaten egg.
- You need 1 dash of Tabasco sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of English mustard powder.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of beer or ale.
- You need 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce.
I believe this recipe is the same as Welsh Rarebit, the classic British topping for rye or white bread toast. Melted sharp Cheddar cheese is complimented by Worcestershire sauce and a hint of cayenne pepper. Welsh Rabbit is one of the humblest dishes you can imagine and it is weird that people should feel it so important to argue about the lack of rabbit, even though Welsh Rarebit - Toasted bread with melted cheddar cheese. The rarebit version of the name is sometimes said to have been invented by the.
Welsh Rarebit (aka Welsh Rabbit) step by step
- Toast the bread under the grill/broiler or in a toaster (but have the grill/broiler on to heat up).
- Mix all the other ingredients (except the Worcestershire sauce) in a bowl with some salt and pepper to your taste.
- Spread the mix onto the slices of toast, making sure you spread it all the way to the edges to prevent the bread burning.
- Sprinkle the tops with a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Grill/broil the slices until bubbling and brown.
- Serve the slices cut in half.
Welsh Rarebit is a delicious blend of savory ingredients: sharp cheddar, egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce, whole grain mustard and beer, piled onto slabs of toasted bread and broiled into How to make Welsh Rarebit. Welsh rarebit is hearty English pub food, typically made by pouring a molten Cheddar cheese-based sauce over toasted bread. Welsh Rarebit, also known as Welsh Rabbit, but I didn't want to call it Welsh Rabbit because a lot of people would say, "Gross! Welsh Rarebit isn't seen in the mainstream very much these days, and I'm perfectly aware some might find it weird. But others, I know, will remember the time their grandma.