Ragu Napoletano/ Basic Tomato Sauce.
You can have Ragu Napoletano/ Basic Tomato Sauce using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Ragu Napoletano/ Basic Tomato Sauce
- You need 2 lb of mixed meat (pork rump and veal) 1 kilo.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1 each of small onion.
- Prepare 3 each of garlic (or more to taste).
- Prepare 1 cup of white wine.
- It's 32 oz of tomato puree.
- You need 3 lb of peeled roma tomatoes (in glass jars 3 x 750 gr).
- It's 3 each of parsley sprigs fresh (option 1).
- You need 3 each of basil sprigs (option two).
- It's 1 each of salt to taste.
Ragu Napoletano/ Basic Tomato Sauce step by step
- Ragu Napoletano has many variations, even in the same family. This recipe is the most basic with variations. If you try this, you will taste ragù as eaten in home kitchens in Napoli. I hope you enjoy..
- In a large heavy pot, add oil, onion, garlic and the mix of meat..
- Allow to cook on medium high for approximately 10 minutes. Add the wine..
- Allow wine to evaporate and then remove the garlic. Add the tomato puree and peeled tomatoes. (add parsley sprigs now, option one).
- Bring to a boil and then turn down and keep a gentle boil for at least two hours. Once the ragù has thickened, add basil (option two) and salt..
- Remove the meat and any herbs from the sauce. This is served as a second plate. The ragù can be used over pasta as a first, and enough left over for use in other dishes throughout the week..